SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding glass patio door track broken

A handy person from Los angeles says:
I have a client who has a sliding glass door on a track has what appears to be an aluminum track above a vinyl raised n-shaped channel. The vinyl piece has cracked the length of the track and the door is now difficult to slide. I could not find the make/model of the sliding glass door. Any ideas on how I could replace this track would be much appreciated!

Jose
User submitted picture of broken door track.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I would suggest you consider our 80-105 or 80-106 replacement sliding glass door tracks. Take a look and see what you think. Keep in mind that you will have to adapt either one to your patio door.

You may also want to consider contacting the manufacturer to see if they still have the track you need. Many times manufactures make a product then change parts on it where they are not interchangeable.
A handy person from Los Angeles says:
Thanks for the information. One follow-up question. Is it possible that I will need to shim underneath the new track in case it sits lower than the original part? I see that the new rail is 5/16" tall; I believe the original part is closer to an inch tall. Thanks again.

Jose
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you could shim up the track with a piece of wood. Or, better yet, get some of that new plastic wood and cut it down to fit.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)