SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding patio dpor lock

A quick learner from San Leandro, CA says:
I have been unable to find the components to repair or replace the glass sliding door lock on my patio door.

The screw distance is 3 5/8" c-c. It has an inside the frame lock. I will include several pictures of the outside. The interior mechanism has disappeared. I received a head injury which prevents me from remembering what became of the parts after their failure. I probably threw them out. It was a "hook latch" type.
User submitted photos of a patio door handle.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! I recognize this handle. It is very old, and I do not believe it is available anymore. The best I can recommend is using one of our surface-mounted patio door lock sets, like our 82-005 or 82-050. Take a look and see what you think. You will likely have to drill new holes.
A quick learner from San Leandro, CA says:
I looked at your recommendations. I already bought and tried to fit the 82-005 but the locking mechanism would have been outside of the sliding door frame.

The 82-050 looks better but the center of the hook on my door is 1/4" off of the surface of the door whereas the center of the door hook on the 82-050 is 1/2" and to modify the hook center on my door would put it outside of the sliding door frame as well.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. Unfortunately, these two lock sets are the closest possible matches we could find. Like I said, yours is old and discontinued, and you may need to make some adjustments in your door to accommodate a new set.
A quick learner says:
Thanks for your assistance.

I find it a bit strange that they discontinued making parts for this door when they are on thousands of homes in the SF bay area. I would assume the same for most other older metropolitan areas. I keep getting suggestions to replace the sliding doors which I would be delighted to if it didn't cost over $3,000 to do so.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It really is a pain. What happens a lot of times is that a company who makes older hardware like this get bought out, and their products are then slowly phased out of production. This happens all the time in this industry, and unfortunately it facilitates nothing but frustration for home owners. I am sorry there is not more we can do to help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)