SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding screen door latch

A home owner from PA and NJ says:
I bought a home at the beach - and all 3 latches on the sliding screen doors are either broken or missing completely. I am attaching a picture of the latch that is broken - along with a picture of the missing latch area of another door.

Can you please let me know if product code #83-034 is the correct one? All three pulls are fine - I just need the latches (I think!).

How difficult is installation if these are the correct ones? Is it simply screwing on the latch?

Also - what is the metal piece in the lower right of the 83-034 product photo?

Please help me with this - I have children and I need to secure these doors.

User submitted images of their patio screen door latch.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for submitting your photos. Yes, I believe the Swisco 83-034 Sliding Screen Door Latch may be a good fit. The installation process should not be a difficult one.
Can you tell me if I can just buy the latch - and not the outside handles? Also can you tell me what the lower right picture is on the page for Product 83-034? I do not want to spend over $50 for 3 handles if I won't be able to install them myself.
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately the latch is not available as a separate purchase. The piece shown in the bottom right hand corner of the product image is the die cast keeper, which is included with the latch set.
Can you tell me what the 'die cast keeper' is for - is this the part where the lock gets set? Is it hard to install?
Profile picture of Dave
The die cast keeper goes onto the jamb of the mainframe of the patio door.
A quick learner from PA and NJ says:
I put the latch onto my door - but I do not know where I am supposed to put the 'die cast keeper'....I don't even know what this is supposed to be used for.
Can someone help me?
Profile picture of Dave
The keeper should go on the jamb of the main frame, for the latch to lock onto. Check to see if you already have the original keeper on the door. You may not have to install the new keeper, just as long the latch locks into the existing keeper.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)