SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sliding window lock

A home owner from Miami says:
Hello, I am repairing an old sliding window on a door. I have replaced both Channel Balance, but I cannot keep the window down without a lock. I noticed the window did not have existing holes for a top window lock , so I am not sure which lock is the correct one for this window. Any suggestions? thank you
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If you can't keep the sash down, then the problem is likely with the balances. It sounds like they're too strong. What balances did you buy? If you purchased it from us, can you give me the SWISCO part number? If not, please remove the balance from the window and show us a good picture of it. We would also like the weight of your sash.
I did buy the 2 balance from Swisco, the 3030. I ordered these cause the existing one on there was 3030 as well, but it was broken, only had 1 as well. But I don't see a way to lock the window for safety either. The approx. weight of the sash is 10 lbs.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
That number you gave us does not identify the balance, I'm afraid. The stamp printed on your channel balance is not a product code; all it indicates is how strong the spring is, and that the channel is 31" long. Two balances with a 3030 option can carry 16 through 23 pounds. If your sash is only 10 pounds, then these springs are far too strong and likely why you're running into problems.

Each balance we sell has a chart on its store page that lists how much weight each stamp can support. You can refer to this to determine what option would be better for you. As for identifying what type you have, the only way to do that is to compare the attachments on your original to our pictures and measurements. There is no number on your window or balance that will tell you what Series you have.
I purchased series 372. I picked the 3030, because the broken one that was on there had that number and I picked that series because the ends were very similar. I assume I would need the 3010 instead. Would I be able to send these back and swap them for the 3010?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yep, you can return your old balance for a refund. See our return policy for more information. You can place a new order for the other balances whenever you wish.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)