SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Small cover fit for door track

A handy person from Zion Illinois says:
My track is .180 thick & .500 high will this repair work?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
What type of track are you repairing?

Do you know the brand name and model number?

Can you send us some images of your existing track?
A quick learner from Zion Illinois says:
Here are some photos of the track.
User submitted photo of sliding door track.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Personally, I like to use the tall track cover, Swisco 80-100 which is only 1/16" taller than yours (9/16"). Just make sure your patio doors have a little room at the top so they can clear the bottom track. Also, check your rollers to make sure they are not worn out.
A home owner from Long Beach, California says:
Looks like the 80-102 track cover might work. But before ordering I want to be sure. My track is just under 3/16 wide by 1/4 high. And a little less than 6 ft long. It's a 47 year old mobile home.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! With those dimensions in mind, I think that the 80-102 track might work for you. You can cut it down to match your length by using a hack saw.
A home owner from Florida says:
The tracks in my home are T-shape; the top of the T is 1/4 inch wide and the top of the T is about 1/2 inch from the base. Do you think the small track cover will fit? Is best?

Also, since the track is 16 ft long, how does the track cover joint remain secure?
Thanks,
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
You say your bottom track is 1/2" tall. The 80-100 is 9/16" tall which is 1/16" taller than yours. Do you have the clearance in the height to clear the taller track cover?

Also, 16' long is a very wide patio door. Do the doors meet in the middle? If so, then I would butt two 8' tracks together so not to interfere with the operation of the doors. Install two small set screws to hold the ends of the track in place (#6 X 3/8" sheet metal screw). The weight of the sliding doors will keep the center of the track cover on.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)