SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Snap In Window Glazing

A friend from Elephant Butte, New Mexico says:
Dear Swisco,

I purchased white window glazing for our home in Elephant Butte, NM this last spring. My neighbor has problems with her window glazing and we would like to see if you have a matching configuration / brown snap in vinyl glazing strip. I have attached photos with measurements. Please feel free to contact me.

Note: She will be ordering and paying for products when we find correct parts.
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Please see our 55-029. I believe this could work for you. it is very similar to your vinyl glazing.
A quick learner from NM says:
Hi Paul,- I found a few pieces of the 55-017 glazing I bought in April 2015 that fit my Better built windows. It goes in but the 9/16 wide tucked in part is a little too short / doesn't snap in tight enough. You recommended 55-029 shows 1/2 X 1/2 / shorter than the 55-017 so probably won't snap either. We need black 6' ft lengths. The tucked in edge per drawing is 5/8 wide on our old existing glaze. Any other options in 6'Ft Black?

Thank You, Bill
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
My first choice would also be the 55-017, actually. I realize that the lock in leg is 1/16" too long, but it's not that far off. Could it be that the new insulated glass unit you are replacing is a little thinner? You say you already have the 55-017, so if I were you I would consider using double stick glazing tape in the bed of the sash to seal the glass. The glazing tape will raise the glass a little to meet the 55-017. If all else fails you could try cutting that back leg to see if that will do the trick.
A quick learner from Elephant Butte, NM says:

Dave, Glass is all good and not being replaced. Depth of channeling wil remain unchanged. Reason for replacement glazing is sun damage only. Old glaze depth is 5/8. Your 55-017 @ 9/16 could work with the tape you mentioned in the channel. The only problem I see is the 55-017 doesn't show 6ft black as an option.
Any suggestions or ideas?
Thank You
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Bill. I'm afraid the manufacturer does not supply the 55-017 in black, but you could spray paint it with a Krylon paint.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)