Spacer to help operation of window

A quick learner from Tampa says:
I am in Tampa also, and it looks like the S380-30 and 2950 (30lb) is what I need for my window.

I have had several of the top sash guides break due to UV (the house is now 13yo), and ordered the replacements from you guys (PN 18-166). I've replaced them in several windows, but the window that needs this S380-30 was not like the others.

When the window had both balances properly seated, there was still about 1/4" lateral play on the window. That is, unless I pull/push it straight up/down with equal force on both sides, it would cock slightly, just enough for the balance to shoot past the new top sash.

I compared the old and new top sash guides, and they are identical. I think when they installed the window frame, they made the opening just a bit larger (or the window panel just a bit smaller) than it should have been, and now there is too much play.

Is there a way to add a spacer or some kind of sleeve in the 1/2" channel that will take up some of that slack? or is there a slightly deeper balance or top/bottom sash guide that would have the same effect?

Thanks,
Eric
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Based on what you describe, it sounds like you need a balance with a wide shoe. Consider our Series 385 as a possible replacement. The shoe for this balance is 1-3/32" deep, as opposed to the shoe on the Series 380 which is 1" deep.
A quick learner from Tampa says:
Thanks Paul. That looks like it should do the trick. One further question before I buy two... Is it only the shoe (bottom) that is wider, or is the whole balance (or the top) also wider? I'm concerned that if the only padded/wider part is on the bottom, the window may still pivot laterally around at the areas where there is no extra width. Does that make sense? Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
The shoe is the only difference between the two balances. I don't know of any balance where the top attachment affects the overall depth. The only function of that part is to catch the take out clip.

They don't make this kind of balance in any deeper size, nor is there any kind of spacer. In my experience the shoe is the only part of the balance that affects this. I can't be 100% sure that this will fix your problem but it's the only thing that comes to mind. One way to confirm is to measure your old shoe as carefully as you can. Also make sure to account for wear; sometimes, older shoes wear down a little due to friction and use, so it may be more shallow than it was originally.
A quick learner says:
Well, for $20, it's worth a shot. I've ordered the deeper balancers as you've recommended.

On a related note, the original balancers were binding where the grey plastic sleds connect to the springs. The sleds themselves were rubbing on the inside of the balance track causing the movement to be very inconsistent and jerky. I tried adding some lithium grease to the inside of the balancer, but that didn't seem to help. Hopefully these new ones are a little better.
A quick learner from Tampa, FL says:
Paul, the new deeper balances came in today. Within 5 min, I had them installed. Works PERFECTLY. There is ZERO lateral movement of the window within the frame. It's too bad the shoes can't be swapped. With them being riveted in, it's an all or nothing endeavor. Thanks again for your help!
Profile picture of Paul
Awesome! Glad to hear it all worked out. Thank you again for your business, it means a lot to us. If you ever need anything else, I'm always here to help as best as we can.
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
How to replace an accessory on a channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.