SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spindle for 82-034 is not long enough

A quick learner from Seattle Washington says:
I ordered 82-034 Legacy Handle Set with Key lock, 3-15/16"...the handle fits but the latch does not engage when locking the door...the long, skinny part is not long enough...what do I need to order...again if the long skinny part where longer I think it would engage the latch and lock the door.

Thank you.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Janice, thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear you're having such a hard time. How thick is the door? Could the inside mortise lock be damaged or broken?
A quick learner from renton Washington says:
No, the mortise lock is not damaged...not at all..we just want to add a "key lock" to the slider so my college student can use the door to exit the home and lock it...
the door is 1 3/4" thick...just your standard Millgard sliding door.
User submitted photos of patio door handles.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. Unfortunately, our 82-034 can only work on doors up to 1-5/8" thick. 1-3/4" is a very thick door and I'm not having a lot of luck finding what you need. Could we see a few pictures of your original handle? That would help us in our search.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)