SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Windows in older house will not stay open

A home owner from Fort Worth Texas says:
Just moving into a 1987 house. Most of the windows do not stay open and none of the Spiral balances have color tips. The window slide up and are 6'x 3' so each the bottom section which opens is 3' x 3'. Attached are pictures of the spiral and shoe. Also I do not know how to remove the shoe. The spiral is 29" x 3/8"

Thank you for any assistance.

Michael D
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, Michael. With a 3/8" diameter tube spiral balance in a tilt window, I think you should consider our S900-29. I'm not sure what tip color you would need, though. There's a chart on the S900-29 store page that shows how much weight each tip color can support. Simply weigh your sash and refer to that chart to determine the right one.

The pivot shoe looks somewhat like our 15-045. You will need to confirm the width and thickness to be sure. Check out our video below to see how you can remove it.
A quick learner from Fort Worth Texas says:
Thank you Paul. Next time I go to the house I will weigh them and check on the shoe.

Thanks again,

Michael
The weight is 18 lbs. Is it better to use green instead of red spiral window balance so it will open easier?

Michael
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes! I Green Tip is ideal for that weight.
Thanks Paul. I placed my order. Thanks again for everything.

Michael
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)