SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral Balance Shoe Identification

A landlord from Texas says:
I have a house built in 1986 with fairly generic single-hung, double-pane aluminum windows installed. The main problem with the windows is the spiral rod balance shoes breaking, and as a result of this the rods themselves fall out of the housings. Please help me identify this shoe.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Before I can recommend a replacement spiral balance for you, I'll need to know a bit more information. First, what is the length and diameter of the metal tube? Also, what is the length of the spiral itself?

The best way to measure the spiral length is to place the balance on a table standing up, so that the top of the balance is facing down and the spiral tip is facing up. Then, push the spiral in as far as it can go. What you want to do is make sure that one end of the spiral is against the table so that you can simply measure from the "bottom" end of the tube to the tip of the spiral.
A landlord from Texas says:
The diameter of the metal tube is 3/8".
Length of the metal tube is 29".
The length of the spiral is also 29" (extends the entire length of the metal tube, but not longer)
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. This balance will have to be custom made for you. To begin, take a look at this Custom Spiral Balance Order Form that I have started for you and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will get in contact with you shortly thereafter. This will be an order for a Series 900 balance with the 15-073 shoe attached.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)