SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral Balances Are "Springing" When Closed

A handy person from Lake Worth,Florida says:

I'm in the process of replacing several Spiral Balances for my windows and have run into a problem. Just wondering if you could give me some advise.

Not sure if you are able to see my Order History but I recently have made two purchases. The first was 2 30" Series 306 Spiral Balances (red tip) which installed nicely so I ordered two more sets for the same size windows. For some reason they seem to "spring" when I close the windows. Now I'm wondering if I bought the correct balance.

My specs: Window Weight 13.4 lbs, Old Balances are 3/8 x 30" metal,white tip.

Should I have bought green tip or some other product?

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Larry. The S306-30 red tip balance can hold a sash weight up to 22 pounds, so that should be sufficient for your 13.4 pound sash. When you say it springs, do you mean the sash goes up by itself when closed, or spiral comes out of the balance tube when the sash is closed?
A quick learner from Lake Worth, FL says:
Hi Paul, Thanks for the reply. The spiral comes out of the balance tube when sash is closed.

Thanks again.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Aha, I see. I suspected as much. It sounds like you might need a special kind of balance with an extra long spiral. We can help, though it will need to be custom made. Just to confirm, this is for the S306-30 spiral balance, correct? I see you purchased an S306-24, as well, and I just wanted to make sure we get you the right one.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)