SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral Window Balances - Clip Type not listed

A home owner from Tustin, CA says:
Hello-

I need to replace some spiral window balances and had a couple questions about what to order and also on getting price quotes. I
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Sure, we should be able to make this for you. Looks like you have a 15-142 shoe, which we can attach to a spiral balance. It will need to be a custom order, though, since we'll have to make it in-house from various parts. I just wanted to confirm a couple things before we get started.

First, does the 15-142 look good? I think it's a match, but let me know your thoughts. Can you also tell me the length and diameter of the outer metal tube? Finally, how many of these balances will you need?

Once I have this information, I can email you a special product that you can add to your cart as if it were any other part, then complete your order or continue shopping as normal. This will also include a price quote, of course.
A quick learner from Tustin, CA says:
Hi Tom-

The 15-142 looks like the correct shoe. I need 8 balances 3/8" diameter 29" length (red tips).

I also need 4 balances 3/8" diameter 35" length (originals are white tips, pic is attached). I don't remember seeing any replacement balances with white tips, so not sure what is considered the correct replacement for this balance?

Thanks,
Chip
User submitted a photo of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thanks for the information, Chip! We should still be able to replace this other balance. White Tips aren't often used anymore, but one of our more modern options may still work. Would you be able to confirm the weight of the sash that these 35" long balances support?
Hi Tom-

I was able to weigh the sash, it weighs 29 lbs.

Thanks,
Chip
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you again for waiting. I've been having trouble with this second balance. I don't believe they make a balance in this size for a 29 pound sash. I haven't been able to find anything that's equivalent.

For now, I will email you a custom order link for the first 29" balance. That one is no problem at all, so we may as well get started on it. However, we will need you to do a bit more homework for this white tip 35" long balance.

Specifically, we would like the length of the inside spiral rod itself. There's a chance we could work around it and use a different type of base spiral balance, but it will depend on how long that spiral rod is. Sorry again for the wait, and for making you go back for more information. This one has us a bit flummoxed. Hopefully this will clear things up for us! In the meantime, I've emailed the link for the smaller balance.
The spiral rod is 35 1/2" long. I could also ship one back to you guys, if needed.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Excellent, thank you. There's no need, that cinched it for me. Sorry to have you run around, I just wanted to be 100% sure that we get you the right thing. Even after all these years, this industry still throws me a curve ball every so often. I've emailed you a link for 4 of these balances. Let me know if you need anything else!
Hi Guys-

I received the link to order for 4 balances that are 35" (from Paul), but didn't ever receive an ordering link for the 8 balances that are 29". I'd rather order them all together, can you resend the ordering link for the 8 balances that are 29"?

Thanks,
Chip
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, Chip! According to our records we sent you the order link for the 29" balance back on the 22nd. I would double check just to be sure. Just in case, I'll resend it.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)