SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral balance colors

A quick learner from Michigan says:
I believe that my old balances are the red type, although they seem orange I believe they are faded. Is it ok to overshoot and order the black tip instead of the red for the extra strength?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
No! Getting a stronger balance spring will not make the windows work better. If you order Black Tip, your balances will be too strong and your window will not work properly.

I believe you were right with your first guess. You likely have Red Tip balances. Orange colored tips are considered Red in the trade. These are delicate systems, and it's important that you get the exact spring strength that you need; no more, no less.
A home owner from Mt Orab, OH says:
I purchased a set of red tips and couldn't be happier. I put them in today and the window worked! It wasn't as easy for me as the video showed but I am a 60 year old female. Six more windows to do eventually.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)