SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral balance replacement?

A home owner from USA says:
Hi, the online posting did not work, and I'm trying to identify what I need for replacement parts:

I have 2 windows that have spiral balances, one has both of them broken, I attached pictures of the broken parts. The windows are metal sashes that I cannot figure out how to remove from the frame but I was able to figure out how to remove the balances. I can find no markings and have no idea what manufacturer the windows are.

The overall length from end-to-end is 31" and there is no tube covering the twisty part. I'm thinking it may be 28" tubing...? The color looks red/orange for the one part that has color on it. The spring looking thing is what came out of the channel for part of it.

What other things would I need to finish the replacement? I think I need an S306-28. Can you help?

Thanks,
Quint
User submitted photos of a spiral window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, our Series 306 looks like a good match. The windows you have are made so the sashes don't come out. Before you order new balances, unscrew the balance tubes from the window frame and measure their lengths. I believe they will be 30" or 31", not 28" which you stated, but it's important to double check just in case.

To install the new balances, drop them behind the closed sash, screw them in at the tops, and then raise it up. Have someone hold it up for you while you charge the balance with our 75-004 tool and hook the shoe to the sash.
A home owner from Silverthorne, Colorado says:
I measured the channel in the sash where the tubes would go, there are no tubes existing. It would be 30". So I guess I should order 2 of those? And if they are the wrong size I'll just have to exchange them.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Go with 30" balances. You can always lower the top installation hole to compensate if the spiral doesn't touch the sill.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)