SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral balance with unique slotted tip

A handy person from Texas says:
I am looking for a spiral balance (3/8"X25"), pictures attached.

It appears that the slotted end of the spiral is unique in the way it attaches to the window.

Thank you,
Steven
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Believe it or not, we've seen this balance before. At the time we thought it was something custom made, but it seems as though there are at least two people on Earth who have it!

We can make it for you, but it will have to be custom made. Before we do anything, though, can you confirm for me the weight of your window sash? Thanks!
A quick learner from Texas says:
The window weighs 8-10 pounds.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. You may want to get an exact weight before you purchase this balance, since these are delicate systems and you want the weight rating to be as precise as possible. If you don't have the right strength spring then the balance may not work right, and in a worst case scenario it could even damage your window.

Either way, based on the weight you gave me I think a Red Tip will work. Two of these balances with a Red Tip can carry a window sash weight of 7 through 21 pounds. If that sounds good to you, then check out this custom spiral balance request form that I've started for you based on your specifications and fill out the blank fields. One of our representatives will get back to you shortly thereafter with a price quote and an item to add to your cart.
A quick learner from Texas says:
I installed the custom red tip balance.

Unfortunately, the window drops about 1/3 of the way down after I open it. Does this mean I should purchase the blue tip?

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Not necessarily, you may just need to give the balance another turn or two. Take a look at this guide on how to add tension to a non-tilt spiral balance:
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)