Spiral balances for Nuprime aluminum windows

A quick learner from Rockford, Illinois says:
Hi, I'm looking into replacing some spiral balances on aluminum Nuprime windows from around the late 60's-early 70's for a church. If I provide measurements do you have replacement parts for these types of windows?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting. Yes, I would be more than happy to help you identify what spiral balances you need!

First, can you tell me if your window is tilt, or non-tilt? Then, I will need to know the diameter and length of the tube itself. Finally, and if at all possible, I will need to know the weight of your sash in order to determine the appropriate tip color.

Please let me know as soon as you can, and we can work from there!
Thanks for the response. I stopped at the Church and took a picture of the balance tip. The windows are tilt, with a balance diameter of 5/8. The windows are various sizes but I lifted the largest one(which measures 52"w x 38"h) and it seems to weigh in the neighborhood of about 60LBS and it has a red tip on it. The smallest I saw also had a red tip on it. However, one of the mid size ones had a black tip on it. I do not believe that any of them have ever been replaced. These are of the 600 series type at the end of the spiral. These windows are all aluminum and are double pane.

I also have a security door handle issue (it's wore out). I'll attach photo's here as well and if it's not appropriate to this area you can advise me where to post. The only writing on the handle is FAMA. It is a mortise lock and I think Wright makes a replacement type. Do you have one?
A user submited photo of window spiral balance
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for posting. I'm sorry, but how many balances are you looking to replace? In order to recommend a balance for each window, I would have to know specific details about each balance pair that you have, including exact sash weights, tube lengths, and tube diameters.

Alternatively, you can look through the options available for our Series 600 spiral balances and see if you can select the ones you think you may need yourself. Otherwise, I'll need you to get that information for me!

To be honest, a red tipped balance supporting a 60 lb. sash doesn't seem right. That's a very heavy sash, and red tips are usually for somewhat lower weights, depending on the tube length. I highly recommend that you confirm the exact weight of each window sash, as well as the length and diameter of each spiral balance.

As for the handle, please take a look at our 40-049 complete mortise lockset. Do you think that may work for you?
Thanks for the response. There are approximately 53 windows of various sizes in the rectory that are having some problems with balances. Father Bovee is going to try to repair three of them to see how it turns out. Once he pics the three I'll take the measurements and get weights. I did look at the mortice lock you recommended and it meets the specs for the one on the door. I will recommend that they go with that one.

One thing I can't find on your site is a table of colors and what weight range they represent. I'm also ignorant of how the top sash balance is installed and functions and can't find any breakout that would show me.
Thanks, sorry for the confusion on the various window sizes.
Profile picture of Paul
There really isn't any table of colors and weight ranges. There are far too many different variables, and it would be too much to represent. The best thing to do is to let us know what the weight of your sashes are, then give us the Series and length of your spiral balance. With those three pieces of information, we can tell you what color tip you will need. For more information, please take a look at this guide:
Greetings Paul,

Father has settled on five identical windows. The sash weighs 40LBS, the balance on the bottom sash is 37" and has a white tip, the top sash balance is 34" and has a black tip. They are 5/8" diameter series 600 for tilt windows.

I also need the Pivot lock shoe for these. I have enclosed pics of one of the shoes to help identify it. The dimensions are 1 1/4"w x 2"h x 5/8"d (depth at largest flat surface on the side). It has a round metal pivot with the number 200-812 on the back of it. Hopefully this will help you identify the part for me. Soon as we hear from you we can order them. Thanks for al your help!!!
A customer submitted photo of a pivot shoe.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you for your patience in this matter. First, the pivot shoe looks somewhat like our 15-048. Please compare dimensions and let me know what you think.

Now, for the balances, the first one you should look at is our S600-34 spiral balance with a black tip. The second, however, would be our S600-37 with a black tip, but that color option is not available for that length Series 600. Therefore, that balance will have to be custom made.

To begin, please take a look at his Custom Spiral Balance Order Form that I have started for you and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will be in contact with you shortly thereafter.
Profile picture of Paul
The diameter of the cam for the 15-048 is approximately 5/8", while the width of the slot is approximately 3/16".
I will forward the info to St. Mary Oratory. The pivot shoe you recommend meets the measurements exactly. My only concern in that the metal cam seems to have a wider slot in it. Do you have the dimension of the red cam as well as the width of the slot?
Greetings Paul,

We ordered our balances and shoes for the first set of windows.

We have two more sizes to order. The length of the balances will be the same. The first sash weight is about 28-30lbs and the second window sash weight is about 35 lbs. Can you advise on the balancer tip color to order? The current ones are the same as the others, white for the 37" ad black for the 34"

Thanks Kevin
Profile picture of Paul
You will want a red tip for both 34" and 37" balances. A red tip for these balances will carry a window sash weight range of 12 through, and including, 30 pounds.
Hello Paul,
The shoes and balances worked very well for the windows we repaired. As a result we will be moving forward on the other windows. I still need to know what tip color to use for a 35lbs sash. You indicate that the red tip only goes up to 30lbs. Will a black tip work? What is the upper working limit of the black tip for the two sizes we are using?
Thanks, Kevin
Profile picture of Paul
Thanks for getting back to us, Kevin! I'm glad to hear that the balances worked.

A black tip should work for both of your balances. For the S600-34, a black tip will carry a sash weight range of 31 through, and including, 40 pounds. For the S600-37, the black tip will carry the same.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
How to install the Swisco 40-049 Mortise lock set.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.