SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spiral sash balancer selection

A friend from Maine says:
I am upgrading a window in my kitchen and have a newer window that will fit my old opening. I am converting from sash weights to some form of sash balancer. My sash weighs 12.5 lbs. and is 27" tall, it is a wooden sash with the 9/16" groove on the side to accomodate the balancer.I was hoping to purchace some form of spiral sash balancer as I have used such products in the past. I hope you can recommend the proper balancers for my window. I also need to know what hardware is required to install them. Thank you very much.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Looks like you would need our Series 500 balance with a red tip. I would recommend 26" for bottom sash and 24" for top sash. That would be S500-26 and S500-24. For the bottom sash clip, you can use either our 17-007 or 17-012.
A friend from Maine says:
Thank you for the information on balancer selection. Is the bottom sash clip the only other part I need for installation? If there is anything else required I'd like to know before I place an order. Thanks again.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Of course, it's our pleasure! As for anything else that might be helpful, I do recommend you take a look at our 75-005 Spiral balance Charging Tool for non-tilt windows. You will need it to add tension to your balance.

You might also want to look at our guide on how to Adjust Spiral Balances for Non-Tilt Windows. This may help you during installation.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)