Spline .250 or .270

A quick learner from Langhorne, PA says:
I have been trying to replace metal spline on Anderson screens but struggling. I think .250 is right (i have .230 just a bit too small). I don't want to end up with another pile of spline that wont work. Do you know if .250 or .270 is a better choice?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We find the 59-250 works well with Andersen screens.
A quick learner says:
what size spline when replacing alum screen with fiberglass
Profile picture of Paul
Good morning, and thanks for contacting us. I actually don't believe it matters what the screening material is on Andersen screens, at least when it concerns the choice of spline. The older Andersen screens use the 59-250, while the newer screens are using the 59-270.
A quick learner from Slate Hill, NY says:
What constitutes "old" versus "newer" screens. At approximately what year did they change?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Good question! I think it was around 1980. The width on the face of the screen was 1", but the newer ones are 3/4" wide.
A quick learner from Maryland says:
My house was built in 1988 and has Andersen screens. According to above, my screens are considered "newer", so I should use the 59-270. Do you agree?
Profile picture of Paul
Yes: if your screens are newer then you should use our 59-270, as outlined above.
A quick learner from St. Louis, MO says:
Paul's post from May 20, 2013 states he doesn't believe that the type of screening would affect the spline size choice. I am replacing my screens with Phizer Sun Tex 80 Solar Screen, which is considerably thicker than normal screen. Should I make an adjustment to the size spline I order?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
It's hard to say. The foam spline is softer than normal and it could squeeze into the screen track. It would depend on how much thicker your material is. You could try stretching the 59-270. My fear is that if you do use the 59-250 your screen cloth might not fit tight and fall out of the frame.
SWISCO Foam Screen Spline
SWISCO Foam Screen Spline
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Re-screen an Andersen Window Screen [1080p]
How to Re-screen an Andersen Window Screen [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.