SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spline fir my ethan allwn hutch dorr glass

A quick learner from Indiana says:
I took out the spline to clean the glass on one door of my mother's 1980 hutch and for the life of me it will not go back in the groove? Maybe it is old and not flexible? Can you help?
Spline
A quick learner from Indiana says:
Spline for my 1980 ethan allen hutch ... Took out glass and old spline, but old spline will not reinstall? My parents owned a glass company and I'm not unfamiliar with the process of spline, glazing, etc. But clueless on this one.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello, hopefully I can help! To install the glass back in the wood frame, make sure that the glass in the frame is clean and has no broken glass or particles in the frame. Also, if you are using new glass, make sure it's the same thickness. Now, what you want to do is place the glass in the frame and work the rubber spline from one end of the frame to the other end. You can use a flat putty knife to help lock it in. You could also lubricate the spline with silicone or WD-40 spray, that might help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)