SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Sprial Balance - need 2 new ones

A handy person from Arnold, CA says:
The spiral balance rod is 29". The overall length is @ 30 1/2". Rod is 3/8" in diam.

I need 2 new replacements. Can you identify?

Thanks!

Tom
User submitted photo of spiral balance rod.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting! For this balance, I would actually recommend using S400-29 spiral balance, with one of the brackets listed under its Related Item(s) category. I would also recommend taking a look at our guide on how to adjust this type of balance.

We can make that same balance in your picture, but it would have to be a custom order balance, and we do not recommend using that setup anyway. Let me know!
Thanks for the reply Donna.

The setup these people are using had worked for 15-20 years, so after further consideration, I would like to stick with that.

I gather I need to do the custom order form to get the same product.

Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
In that case, please take a look at this Spiral Balance Custom Order Form that I have started for you. Please fill out the Contact and Shipping information, and one of our representatives will be in contact with you shortly thereafter.
Hi Susan,

I'll just use this form, as it's the one connected to the thread above. My question regarding the Spiral Balance Custom Order Form that Tom initiated above was http://www.swisco.com/29-inch/pd/Series-900-Spiral-Balance/S900-29 looks more like my photo, rather than the S300 mentioned on the order form?

My balances have 2 holes at the bottom.

Tom
Profile picture of Tom
The major difference between the Series 900 and the Series 300 that we recommended is the length of the spiral inside the tube. Based on your pictures, it seems that you have the longer Series 300 spiral. If you aren't sure, though, and want to double check just in case, you will have to measure the length of the spiral and let us know. From there we can be sure.
Regarding the attached photo, the overall length of the spiral, from end to end (as marked in the photo) is 30 15/16"

Tom
A customer submitted photo of a spiral balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. It definitely looks like our first guess was right--the length of this spiral compared to the tube is indicative of the Series 300 balance.
OK, thank you very much! I just ordered.

Tom
A quick learner from Arnold, CA says:
I need another set of red-tipped spiral balances for a single hung window. I gave the incorrect spiral dimensions the first time. Here are all the dimensions:

Tube = 3/8" in diameter
Tube = 29" overall length
The correct spiral rod length is 29 13/16". With 15-142 attached, the overall spiral rod length is 29 13/16" + 1/32"

Tom
Profile picture of Tom
Certainly. Check out this Custom Spiral Balance Order Form that I've started for you and fill out the rest of the information. One of our representatives will get back to you shortly thereafter.

Keep in mind that the Series 900 spiral will be 29-1/2" long, not 29-13/16". However, we still think it may work.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)