SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spring Balances for Certainteed Window

A handy person from West Nyack, NY says:
I have what I believe to be a CertainTeed window with two failed spring balances that prevent the window from staying up on its own. I say failed because there are a series of broken coiled stainless steel strips in the frame on each side of the window. Here are the markings on the label that fell off during diagnosis:

# 00070010- 86 JLBM01
GL SIZE 31 1/16 X 30 5/16
94 197AN7 9

Is it possible to buy replacement parts for this wind and how difficult is the replacement process?

Thanks in advance fro your help,
Dave C.
User submitted photos of their CertainTeed window coil balance system parts
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for submitting pictures and your window information. I have one more question before we can recommend a replacement. There should be a number stamped on the actual metal coil near the tip end. The stamped number may be a metal imprint or ink. The stamp may be very faint. Take a look closely on the coils and see if you can find any stamps.

Let us know if you have trouble finding a stamp.
A home owner from Greater Philadelphia Area says:
Great, I'll go look for the stamp.

Just to be clear, when you refer to the "tip end", are you referring to the end of the coil spring that has broken off and fallen to the bottom of the window track? I've checked the parts of the springs in the enclosed pictures (those that remained coiled around the plastic bushings that were fastened in the middle of the window track) and there are no numbers at either the broken end or at the finished (inside) end of those coils.

So, I'm assuming that the numbers you refer to are at the finished end of the pieces that have broken off and fallen down the window track ... .

Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us, Dave. It's entirely possible that the stamps are on those broken pieces. Is there any way for you to retrieve them?
A home owner from Greater Philadelphia Area says:
I'll fish them out of there this weekend and have a look; assuming I get a number on them, will you likely need anything else, like the size of the window, frame thickness, weight, etc.?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The weight would be good to know, yes. That would help us should there be no stamp on the stray parts you're looking for.

Let me know what you come up with!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great! I'm glad that the stamps were on those stray ends. It makes things a lot easier.

Please take a look at our S170-405 coil balance spring. Does that appear to be what you have? You may also want to see our 15-192 CertainTeed PIvot Shoe, in addition to our 15-157 CertainTeed Balance Drum and either our 15-156 or 15-185 spring covers.

For installation instructions, please check out our handy video guide on how to install a window coil balance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)