SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spring balance hardware

A home owner from Coventry, CT says:
I need for my house window 1. spring balance 2. Window shoe 3. spring support. My window has at the top 2 spring support on each side and window shoe on each side of window and two spring balance on each side of window.
I used your site to identify spring support and it matches product code 15-150. For pivot shoe, 1/2" thick, product code 15-111 matches. For spring balance, the spring width is 1/2" wide. As the manufacture detail is not given on and around window, it is difficult to give exact specification for window hardware. I saw inside spring support "OM137 Patent Pending". Is it telling you the weight of spring? Ieasured the window and found Length as 29" and width as 33.5". The balance spring is stainless steel. Window is single hung window. So for one window, I need 4 spring balances, 2 pivot shoes and 4 spring support.

Please advise if you can provide the hardware. Please let me know if you need more info.
Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Morey
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Morey.

From the information you've submitted, please take a look at the S160-4 4 lb. Coil Balance. The corresponding sash support is 15-150D Double Support, and the pivot shoe is the 15-111 Pivot Shoe, 1/2 inch.
A home owner from Coventry, CT says:
Thank you very much. Even though, it is a new set of parts for the old parts, it is not the same I realize it. For double support of springs, would you please describe the procedure to install two springs in shoe and carry it at the the top of sash window and then install window to test the window remains open where it is supposed to be. Please see if you can describe and tools required if any.

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Morey I. V.
A quick learner from coventry, ct 06238 says:
I installed the spring two on one side of the window. It is a single hang window. The total height of the window is 60". The spring length was must be less than 56" because both the springs came out of support.
Please advise for proper sring legth and replace my 4 springs with the new proper one. Please let me know what was the total length of S160-4. If the total maximum travel one way is 35" for this spring. The total length of the spring must be atleast 70 inches. Please explain. Thanks.
Morey I. V.

Note: Springs came out when I lowered shoe in the middle of lower window.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The manufacture told us the spring travel is 35", therefore they suggest moving the location of the support (15-150 & 15-150D) 4" to compensate.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)