SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spring balances and retaining clips

A contractor from South Carolina says:
I need to order some spring balances for some non tilt windows. The plastic retaining clips on top of the lower sash have broken. Marking on the spring balance is 2930 and 2830 on the channel balance. Also the small channel balance is stamped 2320 & 2320x. I don't know what series these would match on your website. Any help would be appreciated.
User submitted picture of channel balances.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Before I can confirm what Series channel balances you have, I'll have to figure out what your bottom shoes are for each balance.

Please look at the measurements for our 15-001 and 15-002 bottom shoes and note their depths. As you can see, they are 1-1/8" deep and 1" deep, respectively. Which measurement more closely resembles your own shoes? You should measure the shoe for each balance separately. There is a chance that they could be different.

Next, I see that the top attachment for one of your balances does not have wings, but is, indeed, flush with the channel. That appears to match our 19-002. Is that the same top attachment as on your other balance? Please also tell me the length of the metal channels for each balance. Do not include the plastic attachments in this measurement.

Lastly, I will need to know the dimensions of your retaining clip.
A contractor from South Carolina says:
Tom, it is a 15-002 bottom shoe. It is also a 19-002 top attachment for all of the windows. Some channel balances had been replaced before and some measure 29" and 29-1/4". Also the small windows balances measured 23-1/4" and 24". I think that I can use the 29" balance and 24" balance. The retaining clip measures between 5/8-11/16 across the top, 7/16 deep and 7/8 long. It has two holes and two small ridges in the back of the clip. Hope this helps.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you. Please take a look at our Series 351 channel balances. Does this Series look about right?

For the top sash guide, please take a look at our 18-097 and compare it to your existing hardware and see what you think.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)