Spring choice

A handy person from Ladera Ranch, CA says:
I have a 17 lb window, I can select a spring for 12 to 16 lbs, or the 16 to 23 lbs. The 12 to 16 lb spring makes the window easy to close, harder to open, the 16 to 23 lb spring makes the window easy to open, harder to close. For the long haul, which spring do you recommend? Will the lighter spring keep the window open? Or will it start to drop over time?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... if your sash is exactly 17 pounds, I would stick with the 16 through 23 pound option. The lighter balance is likely to start droop eventually. Then again, having a balance that is too strong isn't any good, either, but with a sash of 17 pounds there really isn't any alternative. That is likely your best bet.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.