SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Is the 40-150 spring loaded?

A quick learner says:
Does the latch has an internal spring that contols the exterior knob? My exterior knob turns but does not automatically return to the latch position. Thank you, Mark
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Yes. SWISCO product code 40-150, inside handle, is spring loaded and will return to the latch position.
A quick learner from decatur, ga. says:
my storm door has this type of inside handle (40-150) but the outside is closest to the 40-160 model (in brass). my problem is the outside handle just dangles straight down now, as if some internal spring broke. i've taken it apart but can't get the insert (of the inside handle) out to check/replace the spring. 1) can this internal spring be replaced and 2) will it take care of the problem, as every replacement handle i've purchased and tried does not fit the holes drilled in my storm door. i'd rather repair and keep the existing hardware than replace the storm door altogether. is this possible? if not, what do you suggest? Michael
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The 40-150 inside handle does have an internal spring. You say you cannot get the insert out; by insert, do you mean the spindle? If so, you are correct that it is hard to remove the existing spindle from the inside handle. However, the spindle can be removed. You most likely have a set screw holding the spindle in the handle. Also there might be a small drive pin holding the spindle. The spindle should come loose, but now with out a fight.
A home owner from zip code 75082 says:
I have the same problem. Outside handle does not stay in horizontal position and turns pointing down.
What should I do?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The spring is in the inside handle - it must be replaced. Have you matched your original handle to the Swisco 40-150?
A home owner from Mississippi says:
Is this unit spring loaded to rreturn to the center position?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the Swisco 40-150 Inside Handle is spring loaded and will return to the center position.
A handy person from Cape Canaveral Fl. says:
Can't get the handle apart to get to the spring? If you don't see a set screw or keeper, try turning the flat washer to line up with the shaft. Two flat/square sides to two flat/square sides. Line them up and the shaft will come out. It's subtle, but may be your answer. It was mine.
Mr. Unreal
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)