SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Spring tension roller assembly for Alside screen door

A contractor from Westminster, CO says:
I am trying to find a replacement assembly for an Alside brand screen door, Alside won't sell me just the assembly, of course they want to sell me a whole new door!

It has a 1.25" diameter wheel that is 7/32" thick.
The housing is 2 1/16" long, not including the spring overhang

The housing is 11/32" thick

I have looked at Prime Line's B-515 at Home Depot, but the housing is too thick, and the roller is thicker as well.

I would prefer to upgrade to steel rollers, over the nylon I have now.

I am not sure if the hook on the housing is necessary, or if the much more common
hole will work instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
User submitted image of their door hardware.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
The closest match I've been able to find is our 84-091M. Now, there are a couple things to consider. The first is that the housing is a little thicker than yours at 3/8". We've never been able to find a thinner version, though we've tried many times. You could possibly file the cut out in the screen door to accept the extra thickness; we've done that before in similar situations.

As for the hook, I can't say for sure how much that matters. I've never personally encountered a roller with this hook, though I've seen it in many customer discussions over the years. It could simply be there to make it easier to attach the roller to the corner, but I'm not sure. Of all the times I've recommended the 84-091M to replace this "hook" type housing, nobody who has used it has ever complained, so that makes me think it shouldn't be a big deal. Sorry I can't give a more definitive answer!
A professional from CA says:
I like the idea of the hook style. I've never seen them for sale anywhere, and I've looked everywhere. The hole style is the only replacement I know of and it works the same as every other door that never had the hook style. It is tricky, but it works. Watch the video.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)