SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Springs attached to a pivot shoe

A landlord from Orrville says:
I have some double hung wooden windows that won't stay up. The side sash guides are made of plastic (one piece on each side for the top and bottom sash). This plastic piece has the word RIMCO printed on it. Inside the guide slots are springs attached to pivot shoes. The pivot shoes appear OK. Since the window will not stay up, I assume I need new springs? The one I took off is from a window 35 inches high. The spring itself is 17 & 1/2 inches long when not attched to anything. Do you know what I nee

Thanks.

P.S. The duplex was built probably around 1970
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us. It sounds like you need new jamb liners; springs like you describe are rarely available by themselves, and are almost always made inside a new replacement jamb liner. I recommend contacting a local mill work that still makes wood windows. If you bring them your jamb liner, they should be able to replace it for you!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)