SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Springs don't work on the window

A handy person from Florida says:
I need to know how to remove the plastic so I can get replacement springs for window
User submitted image of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Based on your picture, I don't believe that black face guide has anything to do with removing the balance. Your sashes are actually not meant to be removed, so it will be a little tricky getting those balances out. Fortunately, we have a tested and reliable method.

You will need to have someone hold up the window for you while you disconnect the balance from the bottom of the sash. It is likely attached to the sash with a hook or clip of some kind. Once it's disconnected from the bottom on both sides, gently lower the sash (since it's not attached to the balance anymore, it will just slam down if you let go of it) and unscrew the balance from the top. From there, you will have to pull the balance out from the top. It may not be easy, depending on how long it is, but with a little patience and persistence you should be able to get it out.

Once the balance is out, show us a couple pictures of it and we can identify it from there.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)