SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Stanley door sweep &

A home owner from USA says:
I have an exterior Stanley French door leading to my deck installed in 2003. The door sweep needs to be replaced for each door and the gasket on the stationary door that seals between the doors also needs to be replaced. The description of the door on the ticket reads as follows:
User submitted photos of weatherseal.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Do you think you could use our 58-176 sweep? We like this because it just wraps around the bottom of your door, instead of having to find an exact match. As for the side weather stripping, take a look at our 58-056. This pushes into a groove in the door. We also have the similar nail-on type, the 58-169.
A quick learner from Little Rock, Arkansas says:
I think the 58-176 will work but I bought one locally some time ago. Does the screw side go inside or outside? Without taking the door apart I can't tell if 58-056 will work. I have never done this before so I'm not sure how the current seal is attached. I will need to take the fascia off on the edge of the door to be able to tell. If I buy it and it doesn't work I guess I could return it. I would rather have 58-056 than the nail-on type. 58-056 is for swinging doors will it work for non-swing doors too?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
The current seal is likely held in with a kerf that goes into a groove under the door. It's very hard to find a replacement for this kind of seal because every manufacturer positioned the kerf in a different way, making it nearly impossible to find exact matches. The 58-056 installs with screws that you would place on the outside.
A home owner from Little Rock, Arkansas says:
The compression seal runs vertically and is attached to the stationary door (see 1st pix on the right above). To remove the seal do I remove the piece of wood backing the seal or do I remove the piece of wood containing the keepers for the deadbolt lock and door latch?
Do the screw holes for the door sweep (58-176) go on the inside or outside of the door? Logic tells me they should be on the inside so the screws are not affected by the weather.
If you can answer these questions I will be ready to make my order.
Thank you for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Yes, the sweep is screwed on the inside of the door. I'm not sure about removing the wood backing. If there is no other way to remove your old seal then I supposed that is what you need to do.
A home owner from Little Rock says:
Thank you, I think I can take it from here.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)