SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Stationary screen pin at top of screens

A quick learner from Wexford, PA says:
I'm not sure who manufactured the screens in our home. The screens all need re-screened and cleaned (as you can see by the images).

All screens have knife latches on each side, and stationary pins at the top which go into holes outside the windows to keep the top of the screens in place.

I have posted a picture of the dirty(!) screen and the pin. The pins seem to be made of metal.

The pins are positioned 2" from the right and left side of the screen. The pins are 1 1/8" long, 1/2" at the thickest part and 1/8" at the base.

Can these be replaced by push pins? I haven't seen these types of pins anywhere. If I do re-screen, they would have to be removed in order to spline the screens. I am going to be installing Solar 80 and replacing the metal spline with standard spline.

Thank you for your time!

User submitted photos of screen pins.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You could possibly use our 70-008 as a replacement. However, you don't have to pull out the original pins to rescreen! You can just use something like our 59-250.
This was the exact pin (70-800) that I was hoping would work...thank you. It certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

However, as you said, perhaps using the foam spline would be a better option.

Thank you very much for your time. You have been excellent! I love the site and really enjoy the personal touch.
Profile picture of Paul
Thank you! I'm so glad I was able to help. If you need anything else in the future, please don't hesitate to ask.
The current spline in the screens is approximately 3/8" wide.

Any suggestions in which size foam spline to use as a replacement?
Profile picture of Paul
That is huge! I don't think we will be able to replace screen spline that big. I don't know of anyone else who would be able to, either. Can you confirm that size?

If you want, you can remove a small sample and take a few pictures of it next to a ruler, and I will see what I can determine.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)