SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Steel "button" for 36-013-10

A home owner from Ann Arbor, MI says:
We replaced hinges in 16 casement windows with your hinge sets. (The top hinge was not needed but you only sell pairs). Originals were non-stainless and the bottom hinge has/had a steel 'button' in one of the holes on the hinge slider, which rusted out which is why we replaced the hinges. There is NO button in the package with the new stainless hinges.

The button holds the weight of the sash and keeps it from scraping against the aluminum cladding of the sill.

Do you sell this button? We cannot reuse the old one which is rusty and the wrong size (too loose/small in the hole of the new hinge).The stainless hinge has a bigger hole. None of the tops have these buttons, just the bottoms.

We plan to use two of the tops as bottoms (in windows swinging the other way) so need 12 (or more) buttons. We got 10 pairs of hinges.

The button can be added without taking the sash out again.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
I'm not familiar with the button you're talking about. Is there any way we can see a few pictures of it on the old one? That may give us a better idea of what you need. Thanks!
A home owner from Ann Arbor MI says:
I thought I already sent the photo. I am attaching it this time using a graphical browser. Would appreciate a quick answer as we plan to order a few more hinges along with buttons and hope to get them in before cold weather. The windows sag a bit without the button to lift the sash as it closes.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see now. This is a rivet that holds the nylon guide to the hinge arm. I'm afraid this is not available by itself. You may be able to find something to work as a rivet in a local hardware store, but I do not know if you will have much luck. In my experience, the entire hinge must be replaced.
A quick learner says:
explanation of photo

Top - new hinge with a hole on the right,lacking the button/glide and a non-rusty rivet on the left side of the plastic piece.

This is the opposite hinge from the one shown on bottom of the photo.

Bottom - old hinge with the button/glide filling the hole in the left (and two others removed from other old hinges, one of them upside down), and a rusty rivet in the hole on the right.

These are the LEAST rusty of the buttons.

We replaced the old hinges because of the rusty rivets and buttons. So your solution is inapplicable.

The window company may have bought these buttons separately. They put one in each lower hinge (not attached, they just rest there) and one in one of the upper hinges.

Please ask the manufacturer if we can get buttons for the new hinges. The holes in them are larger so could not reuse the old buttons even if they had not been rusty (in which case we would not have replaced the hinges).

We would like to take care of this before it gets cold. Already hit 29 here recently. We will be ordering three more hinge pairs.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this button, either. I actually just asked two casement window manufacturers and neither of them have ever used this button. I would contact the original builders of the window and see if you can get your original hinges, they may be the only ones who can help you. I'm sorry we cannot offer more assistance.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)