SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Steel corner screen door roller insert

A handy person from New Mexico says:
Looking thru your online catalog, I want a corner piece for a screen door with roller much like your 84-136. Only my dimension is 1/32" under 1" wide. I can find these in aluminum, you have them too, but they are inadequate for tapping them into the door channel. I have steel and need steel for this application. If the nylon caster in 1" or slightly smaller is available, I can change out the casters on all four corners. Width of corner is 3/8". Do you have such an animal?
Bob
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Most of the patio screen door corners are aluminum. Can you send a photo of your sample, with dimensions, so that we can identify what it is you might need?
Photo is attached with dimensions. May need to zoom a little. Width of each side is 31/32", length of each side is 3-3/8", wheel/roller is 7/8", thickness is a little over 5/16". The area where the adjustment screw goes into has a plastic cover (may not be too important). The corner housing and the wheel enclosure is make of steel and is baked enamel. The aluminum ones I already purchased from All About Doors and Windows is very soft aluminum which bent out of shape with gentle tapping with a rubber mallet. Don't want more of that.
A customer submitted photo of a corner roller.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Your sample is very close to our 84-073 Acorn Screen Door Corner Wheel, however this, too, is made of aluminum. This roller was used by Acorn manufacturing which are no longer is business.
Dave, if you have replacement wheels/rollers so that I could punch out the rivets from mine and replace them with, I could use that. The width of the rollers are a quarter inch and the holder has set-backs for the rivet heads if not too thick. Could put in 1" diameter ones if that is what you have. Your 84-017 looks about right. How close can I screw the axle screw up; what is the dimension when the axle screw is pulled up tight outside to outside? The door slot is nearly 3/8" and the width of the wheel holder is less than 3/8". What ddo you think? Will order 4 if the wheels fit my holders.
Bob
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Bob, we use the 84-073 for Acorn screen doors. The material itself does not matter, but the size is very important.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)