SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Steel door magnetic weather stripping

A home owner from Michigan says:
I have a need to replace our magnetic door weather stripping. It is the kerf in style and I believe you offer that product. I hope to send a pic but I am waiting until we have bit warmer weather here in Michigan.

The only other concern I have is the strength of the magnetic seal after the door closes. I noticed in my investigation from other websites that some of the customer reviews indicated that they were dissatisfied with the results.

What are your thoughts?

Can you provide a sample?
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I have actually spoken to many manufacturers, and what they have found in their testing is that foam-type weather stripping works just as well, if not better than, magnetic-type weather stripping.

In fact, more and more home owners today are replacing their older doors with the fibre glass type, which takes foam seal. Take a look at our 58-056 foam seal and let me know if you think you could use this as a replacement. If you want to stick with magnetic, I've been satisfied with our 58-008. At the end of the day, it's a matter of preference.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)