Storm King Closer

A landlord from Kansas City, MO says:
The attached pic is an ORIGINAL replacement I found on e-bay a few years ago (I believe the diaphragm is made of leather). It now needs to be replaced. I can not find another original. I believe your 40-079 may match this?? My tube is ~9 1/2". Your photo shows 9". An original or matched replacement would be appreciated. Thank you.
User submitted a photo of a door closer.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
First, try lubricating your existing closer. That sometimes does the trick for these old Storm King closers.

As for the 9" measurement on our 40-079, that does not include the neck which houses the adjustment screw. I imagine that's where the 1/2" difference is. This is the only closer currently made to replace the Storm King.
A quick learner says:
Thanks Dave. Not sure if lubricating will solve it. The rod has no resistance in the tube (the door just slams shut) so I assume the diaphragm is broken??
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
You could be correct concerning the bad diaphragm, but I would still try lubricating first, just in case. Best case scenario is that the problem is fixed, worst case scenario is that you're back to square one. If that doesn't work, then you could consider our 40-079 as a replacement closer. I can't guarantee that it will work but it is the closest match we have to the Storm King.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.