SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Storm door latch

A home owner from Conway, SC says:
I have already bought 3 storm door handles & none of them work for me. I am looking for an inside latch that has the black metal flange that catches on the door facing (without having to install a strike plate). Enclosed is a picture of what I am looking for. It has to be exactly like this picture or I can't use it. The black piece that catches on the door facing moves in & out with the push of the handle unless it's locked then it does not move at all. Do you have this type of handle? If so can you guarantee that it works this way? I would like to order several of them if this is the case. Look at the picture to see what I mean. Thanks!!
A customer submitted photo of a door latch.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting! Before we can make any suggestions for an applicable replacement, we just need a bit more information regarding your original hardware. The most important thing we will need to know is the distance between your two screw hole centers; in inches. With that in mind, I think we will be able to find something to work for you.
The door handle plate is exactly 2 inches long from top to bottom. It's just a standard storm door that I bought at a local salvage yard. The screw holes appear to be about 1 3/4 inches appart. Do you have this type of inside door handle that locks this way (without having to install a strike plate).
Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for the information. Have you seen our 40-053 Out-Swinging Door Inside Latch? It appears to be a close match to your hardware. Please compare dimensions and see if you think this will work for the application you desire.
Sir:
That 40-053 is NOT what I'm looking for. I have alreay bought 3 like that & don't want that at all. It has to be exactly like the pic I sent you. The other one will not work. Why is this so difficult for anyone to understand? I need one that look just like the pic. It must have the metal piece that stays on place when locked without having to install a strike plate. It's a simple question. Will 40-053 work on my existing door?
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
After researching your handle application a bit further, it appears the Swisco 40-117 Black Inside Latch would be a better fit. The 40-117 does not require a strike plate for installation.

Keep in mind, you may also want to consider using the 40-179 .125" Latch Shim along with your handle to ensure it works properly.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)