SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Storm panel top tilts

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
I do not know who manufactured our storm windows. We need a pair of top tilts. They are marked 1291 and 1292.

Thanks!
Janet
User submitted a photo of a pivot bar.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Janet. We don't have an identical match, I'm afraid. The closest we have are our 95-006 and 95-007. The face is 3/16" on these corners, but the thickness is 1/8". Could you get them to work? Double check your dimensions, as well.
A quick learner from Ridgewood, NJ says:
I double-checked the dimensions and, most unfortunately, the thickness is definitely 3/32". The ⅛"-thick keys will not fit in the channels.

Can they be sanded down? What metal is used in the keys?

Janet
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
I believe you have the old "Karey" storm window. They are no longer available, I'm afraid, so trying to match up the exact corner key is difficult. Looking over our corner keys which we carry, I see that we have the 95-100 and 95-101. They come left and right handed, and the face is 3/16" wide while the thickness is 1/8". You say your thickness is 3/32" which is only a little thinner. Maybe you can file down the bumps a little to make them fit in your frame. What do you think?
A quick learner from Ridgewood NJ says:
What kind of metal are they made of?
A quick learner from Ridgewood NJ says:
I tested the old key and the metal is not too hard to file. I'm going to try getting the 95-100 and 95-101 to fit. Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul
Great! Let us know how it goes. For the record, these corners are die cast zinc.
It worked! Grinding down the bumps was easy. Thank you.

Janet
Profile picture of Paul
Oh, that's great news! If you need anything else, let us know.
Now I need bottom keys for storm windows. It's a different window this time, although it looks like the same brand.

Attached is a scan of the bottom left key marked 1293. It's not flat, so I've included a sketch of the back view.

Thanks!

Janet
User submitted photos of a corner key.
Profile picture of Paul
Hey, Janet. Thanks for the great pictures! See our 95-146 and 95-147. They are very close to your dimensions.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)