SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Storm window finger latches

A home owner from Portland, OR says:
Hello-

First off what a great site!

I have posted three photos. The first one is of a broken latch- I have at least 6 broken ones in my windows. As you can see it is plastic and is about 4-inches long. It looks like there is an M or W on the end of it (near the top as you are looking at the photo) otherwise there are no other markings.

The other two pictures are of metal latches in place (not broken). When I pull the latch back I see a 1356 on it...not sure if the numbering continues and the overall length is roughly 2.5 inches. Ideally I would like to get metal replacements as they are sturdy and I figure won't snap like the plastic ones have.

Here's to hoping you can help me!!!
User submitted photos of storm window latches.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! I'm glad you like our site.

I believe your plastic latch matches our 91-056 and 91-057. There isn't a direct metal equivalent, but you might be able to replace them with something like our 91-001 and 91-002 metal latches. The body dimensions are close, but I'm not sure about the "nose." I believe the latch should fit into your frame, but it might not latch into the stops in the window. The only way to be sure is to actually try it in the window itself, I'm afraid. That said, look it over and see what you think.
Thank you Dave. A couple of quick follow-up questions:

1) If I try the metal (91-056 and -057) and they don't fit are they returnable?

2) Do I need to also buy the Spring with nylon retainer (91-003) regardless of the latches I purchase?

Thanks again for your continued help.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you can return the parts you purchased if they do not work. See our Return Policy for more information. As for the spring, you could re-use your old ones if they still work, but if they don't then the 91-003 would be a good idea.
I have the exact same plastic latches as in the picture above and i need to replace about 6 of them. i was wondering if the original person who posted found the right latches as I'm not sure that the 91-056/057 will fit. They measure slightly bigger than my latch
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)