SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Storm window latch

A home owner from Des Moines, IA says:
We have many storm windows inside a mobile home, all with broken latches. They are black plastic about 7/16 inches wide, 3 and 1/4 inches long inside the window with ? sticking outside (tab) to latch the window. All those pieces are broken off.
The windows are in a 1995 Special Endeavors Mobile Home. I can't find any names on the windows.

Do you have these latches for sale?

Someone painted over the latch in this picture.

Thank you!!
A customer submitted photo of a window latch.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, Jan. Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what latch that might be. Did the tip break off the end?

In the meantime, please take a look through our Panel Replacement Latches and Springs Catalogue to see if there's anything here that may work.

Also be sure to take a look at our tutorial video on how to replace your storm window latches.
A home owner from Des Moines, IA says:
Yes, the tips broke off of all of them so I don't know the exact length. They are made of plastic and are 1/4 of an inch thick as well. I did look in your catalog but didn't see anything exactly like it. Since I don't know the exact measurements, I'm hesitant to just try buying parts. These windows are in a mobile home. They are in the inside but look just like storm windows without screens.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, mobile home parts are difficult to match. They are not as common as window house parts. Unfortunately, it's a bit hard to tell what you have due to the paint. However, please take a look at our 91-056 and 91-057 storm window latches. Would they work for you? Also take a look at our 91-001 and 91-002 and see what you think.
A home owner from Marion, Ohio says:
I too have the "Mobile Home Window Parts Blues"! I found storm window latches that are a very close match to the Swisco 'Slide Bolt Pair' #91-062, and also the corner with tilt pivot and guide similar to the Swisco #95-193 (only the nubs and the angled areas are reversed, pointing in, not out). I wish I had found the Swisco video of how to replace the latches, it would have saved me from cracking the corner of the glass. After that and since I ended up tearing the old latch out with pliers and various other devices, I bagged the job and stuck a length of wire coat hanger to hold the window in until I attack the job again. Fortunately, I applied the Gila Energy Saving Film on my windows a couple years ago so the broken piece of glass is still attached and poses no problem other than 'beauty'! Since I will need a couple more latches, I may give the Swisco parts a try, they are much less expensive!!!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)