SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Stormking 440 door closer

A handy person from Grove City,Ohio says:
I have a Stormking door closer on my patio door that has gone bad. The mo# on the closer is 440. If your standing on the inside the door swings to the left.If you have any infomation on the stormking door closer and where I might be able to buy a new one would be a great help.

Thank You, Don B.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for posting on the discussion board, Don.

I am not familiar with the "Model 440", but the Swisco 40-079 Door Closer is a Storm King door closer. Take a look and compare it to the dimensions of your original.
A home owner from Winnipeg Canada says:
My Stormking 440 has ceased to function. I am assuming that this item is no longer being made. Please let me know if this product is still on the market. Thankyou, David Halstead
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting, David.

As Dave suggested above, please compare our 40-079 Storm King Door Closer to your own hardware and see if they match.

If not, you can upload a few pictures here and we can take a look at them to see if we can identify what you have.
A home owner from Milford, OH says:
I have a Storm King 440 Door Closer used for a heavy door between the garage and entry hall to my home. As you can see from the attached pictures, the spring for the closer has broken. Do you have this part available or can you suggest another source for this part? There is a tool with the unit (see picture) that is used to dismantle the spring assembly. The closer itself seems to be OK.
Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards,
A customer submitted photo of a door closer and closing tool.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
Hi Terry,
Thanks for posting with photos. We are working on bringing in a replacement for you. I'll post again as soon as they are available for you to view.
A home owner from Florida says:
Do you have a 440 Storm King neumatic door closer.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Lou, as posted in the above thread, please look at our 40-079 Storm King Door Closer and see if it will work for your application.
A home owner from minnesota says:
the spring inside my "storm king 440" broke, just like the pic dated 11/15/11. is there a replacement spring? thanks
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
The original version has been discontinued, please see new SWISCO product code 40-181 for a possible replacement closer.
A home owner from Grand Rapids MI says:
I also have a Storm King closer as in the photo dtd 11/15, also with a broken spring. I think it's odd that so many of us with Storm King closers have broken springs in such a close timeframe! I'm curious if the 40-181 did end up being a successful replacement?
A home owner from winnipeg canada says:
Hi. Could you advise please. We have a storm king door closer exactly at the one in the photo dated 11-11-15. We just don't have the tool to remove the spring as they do. Could you advise it the spring is available, or if the full door closer is sold. We have had it since we moved in 28 yrs ago, without problem.

Ken M.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, the spring is not sold separately. You would have to purchase an entire door closer set. Do you think the 40-181 would work for you?
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)