SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Strings on Andersen balances broke

A quick learner from Port Byron, NY says:
The strings have broken on 2 of my Anderson windows. These windows are seldom opened up since we have central air. What could be the cause of the strings coming loose? One is a large window and the other a small one. How do I know what size to order without taking the windows apart?

Thank you for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, we cannot identify what Andersen Sash Balance you have without knowing what numbers are printed on the balance box. You will have to remove it.

Actually, it may be easier if you take pictures of the stamps printed on the balance box. Sometimes seeing how the numbers are printed is just as important as the numbers themselves.
A quick learner from Port Byron, NY says:
RE: my 8/10 post and your 8/12 reply. The number on the balance is J17-5#23-685. I think it is a # sign-hard to read. We put the windows in early 80's. The emblem on the window has AW inside a triangle, a 5 to the left and USO under the triangle. Other marks on the window is X1 with a R with a circle around it. The window glass size is 24-1/2 X 16. This is what Home Depot said we needed to order the balance, but couldn't find anything.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Great! Thank you. The numbers around the # sign are the ones we want. Not all Andersen balances have it, but if they do it's a tell-tale sign. Check out our 24-531. This can replace balance boxes with the stamp 5#23.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)