SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

THICKNESS

A home owner from Novi, Michigan says:
Can you please tell me the thickness of 58-008 seal. I'd like to know the minimum/maximum gap that the 58-008 can seal. Also, are there any profile views available? Please let me know. Thanks Mary
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Approximate measurements on the 58-008 compressed is 1/4" up to 3/8". Also take a look at the 58-056 door foam seal, it features measurements of 1/4" up to 1/2".
A professional from Maryland says:
Dave, Please provide more detail to this request i.e., looking at a profile of 58-008 what are the dimensions? Width - Height (thickness) and depth of tongue? Your first answer was not enough help. Also, please explain how they are to be installed. Many thanks, Elwin
Profile picture of Paul Sr.
Paul Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The 58-008 product picture has been updated with more views and dimensions. Let me know if you need any further measurements. This seal is installed by pushing the tongue in a pre-existing groove around your prime door.
A home owner from Cheswick pa 15024 says:
My door is 96" x 36". Do you make any magnetic weatherstripping in this size?
Currently, we do not carry the 58-008 door seal set for a 96" door.
A home owner from Cheswick Pa 15024 says:
Paul How much is the 58-008 door seal set in brown for a 96" door and how would I order it?
I am so sorry, that was actually a typo in my earlier response. I meant to say we currently do not carry the 58-008 door seal set for a 96" door.
A home owner from Hendersonville, NC says:
Paul, I am a veteran DIY homeowner with a home with five steel-clad exterior doors that were installed new in 1980. All of the doors need to have the weatherstripping replaced. It is magnetic weatherstripping which is inserted in a kerf in the door stop. The weatheerstripping is much like the MD magnetic weatherstripping available in the big box stores, but it is almost twice as thick. Consequently I find the replacement magnetic weatherstripping as well as the replacement vinyl weatherstripping to be too narrow to fill the gaps in my doors. I am not determined to use magnetic, but even to use the vinyl I have found requires my adding about a 1/4 inch filler strip all around the door opening. Do you have any alternative suggestions? Thanks, Kell
Profile picture of Mike
Mike from SWISCO responded:
Please send us a photo of your current weatherstripping.
A home owner from Hendersonville, NC says:
Attached is a picture of the magnetic insulation which I need to replace. The tang is about 1/2" long and the gap between the stop and the door is about 9/16" or 5/8". Either magnetic insulation or compressible vinyl sheathed insulation would be satisfactory for my use as long as it filled the gap and effectively sealed the opening.

Thanks for your help.
Customer image of their weatherstripping.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
I can bring in a compression type seal that has a a nailing flange similar to yours. I will post again as soon as it is available.
Profile picture of Donna
Donna from SWISCO responded:
The new weatherseal is now available, see SWISCO product code 58-169, Compression Foam Seal with Nail Flange
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)