SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Take out clip

A quick learner from Texas says:
I broke a take out clip, have cold front coming in, got to get the new channel balances back in the window. What can I use instead of clip. Using a screw was mentioned in a discussion. Could I get some details how to do it? Thanks, frustrated in Texas. P.S. Wind is blowing about 40-50 mph now-this is gonna be fun, haha!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Yes, you could possibly use a screw. I would recommend using a #6 x 1/2" or #8 x 1/2" pan head screw. Drill a hole for it either above or below where the take out clip was and install the screw just enough so that it sticks out enough to hold the balance in place, but not so far that it will prevent the sash from passing over it. When you engage the balance in the sash, just screw it all the way in. You can use a piece of duct tape to cover the hole left by a missing take out clip until you can replace it.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)