SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Tension spring tip has broken off

A home owner from Central, Indiana says:
A few of the windows in our 1995 modular home won't stay open. Upon closer inspection, it appears the tip of the tension spring broke off and therefore there is nothing holding them into the pivot shoes. The pivot shoes appear to be in good condition.
How do I find the weight of the window sash so I know what size tension springs to purchase? (There does not appear to be ANY tip color no the existing springs.) What I have read says to "remove the sash" but I am not sure how. They are the tilt kind with the upper sash being stationary.

I would sure appreciate any help you can give me.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. Based on your other post, you mention you need tilt window spiral balances. I recommend watching the video below for instructions on how you can remove your sash and replace this hardware. Once the balances are out, look at our spiral balance home page and follow the steps to find the best match.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)