Thermal Gard Double-Hung Season-All Window - Spiral Tilt Window Balances

A quick learner from Washington DC says:
Hello, I am not sure which length and strength I need to install to replace the spiral tilt window balances in my Thermal Gard windows. As you can see from the photos, the existing balances are of varying lengths, which suggests that someone already did some repair work. One is 21" long, one is 22", and another is 25". These all came out of the same window. The 25" balance has a reddish brown end, and the 21" balance has a green end. The 25" balance came out of the front/bottom sash, and the shorter ones came out of opposite sides of the upper/rear sash. So the question is, which length and color is the correct one? The outer dimension of the sash height is about 25.5" if that helps.
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! It definitely looks like someone did some on-the-spot repairwork, yes. Do you have another Thermal Gard window in the house that is the same size? That would be a good point of reference, assuming all the hardware there is original.

If not, I will need some more measurements. Please tell me the height and width of the visible glass for both the top and bottom sash. Then, please remove each sash and place them on a scale, then tell me their weight. Knowing the size of the visible glass and the weight of each sash will allow me to determine what length and color bearing you need for your balances.
Hi Paul,

The visible glass on each sash measures 28 5/8" wide by 23 3/8" high. The weight is 18 pounds.

Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thank you! For the bottom sash, I would go with our S600-25 blue tip tilt balance. The blue will hold a sash between 12 through 31 pounds. For the top sash, I recommend our S600-24 for the top sash, also blue tip.
I poked around on your site a little more and found measurements for the 15-070 pivot shoe so I think I have answered my own questions and have placed a new order. I will be sending the pivot shoes from my first order back for a refund.

Thanks.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.