SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Threaded hub for patio rollers

A quick learner from Newark, DE says:
I recently purchased some 84-012 rollers for my patio screen as I could not find an assembly for it. The roller mount is 1/8th inch and will not accommodate the supplied bolt and there is not enough metal to drill a larger hole. I found a nylon insert with a 1/8th inch ID which fit the roller perfectly. The question is whether there is an 1/8th inch threaded hub available to complete the installation. My back up is to rivet it in.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
From your description, you seem to need a smaller axle/through bolt or a smaller diameter screw to complete your installation. I would like to see how the original roller was installed in your door. You can upload your pictures directly to this thread. As for the 1/8" insert, I suggest trying a local hardware store and see what type fasteners they can come up with to complete your job.
A quick learner from Newark, DE says:
I've solved the problem by using an 84-012 roller and inserting in a 1/4" OD x !/8"ID X 1/4" L nylon bushing. The bushing fit perfectly into the roller and I pop riveted the assembly into the roller frame on the door using a 1/8th inch aluminum rivet. It rolls better than new as the old rollers look like they were made of a Bakelite like brittle material.
The original roller assembly was part of the corner and would have required disassembly of the door and searching for a matching assembly.
The technique I used will only take about 10 minutes a wheel now that I have it worked out.
Thanks for your help.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)