SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Threshold insert

A home owner from Palm Harbor , FL says:
I have a 40 year old threshold that is partially covered by tile cement and I am having a difficult time in finding a replacement vinyl insert. The old insert looks like the 58-168 but the measurement is 1 3/8" wide. I want to avoid the 1 1/2" or larger size as part of the door bottom is putting excess pressure on the old insert. I don't know the threshold brand.
Profile picture of Dave
Dave from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... I can't think of anyone who has a 1-3/8" vinyl insert. The only ones we carry are the 58-067 and 58-168. Can you cut the bottom of the door to relieve the pressure on the insert? You could also remove the vinyl insert and install weather stripping on the door itself, like our 58-176.
A handy person from Stuart, Florida says:
You are the ONLY source that I know of that stocks a replacement threshold insert for our 44-year-old thresholds in a 136-unit condominium complex. Installation tip given by an expert: Lubricate with soapy water, insert the inside edge of each side first, then the outside edge of each "T". Using an awl or icepick or even a nail, press in the outside fin and slide the tool down the threshold. The insert goes in smoothly and quickly!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)