Thumb latch 82-241 mortise still catches

A home owner from Minnesota says:
Great web site! Sure enough, I ordered this part, but it still 'catches' and does not close, so I assume the comment about the internal mortise is broken and needs to be replaced is true. that looks a whole lot more complicated. But can you please tell me what part(s) I need to order. Are there instructions for how to install that? Thank you!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! The 82-241 latch locks made today work with our 82-037 mortise lock, however I'm not sure if you have an older installation or not. If you do, this may not be what you want. If possible, could you show me a few pictures of your current mortise lock? This will give us a better idea of what may work, and what you can do to replace it.
A quick learner from Minnesota says:
Got it. Thank you. I'm traveling, but will post pics later next week, just wanted to acknowledge the response. Thanks!
Sure thing, let us know whenever you can!
A professional from California says:
Open the door push in the tab that allows the hook to operate, and try the lock. If the lock works with the door open, It is more likely adjustment. The hook may be hitting on one of the edges or the door itself may be misaligned.
Good morning Dave and team, I am posting pictures of the current mortise lock. It does indeed 'stick' so the lock is simply not working any more (appreciate the poster with the suggestion).

It's really a struggle to get it locked now, but I can jiggle and get it done with brute force. Close to snapping off the old latch though. (I am using a block of wood in the jamb to keep it closed just in case it fails).

Hope these pics help you determine if it is an older mortise lock or not...just let me know if you need anything else.
User submitted photos of a mortise lock.
Thanks for the extra pictures! Your mortise lock could be worn, or the striker in the jamb needs to be adjusted. You might also need to adjust the rollers so that the door is plumb to the jamb. Try sliding the door open and away from the striker in the jamb to see it it still is hard to operate. If it is, then I would suggest replacing the mortise lock altogether. I believe the one you have is our 82-037.
Thanks Dave. Just ordered the part. Is it relatively easy to 'pry' the old mortise lock part out of the door? Great site, great customer service. Thanks again!
Yes, after you remove the inside thumb lever it should come out fairly easily. Thank you for the order, and please let us know if you need anything else!
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.