SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Need the Right Replacement for my Tilt Latch

A home owner from USA says:
To Whom It May Concern,I recently purchased some tilt window latch parts from you for my windows. The part #s were 26-419 and 26-420. All the dimensions were perfect except 2 - The little snap lock on the bottom is 3/8" from the end. I only needed 1/8". Also, the latch piece that locks the window in the frame didn't protrude far enough past the edge of the latch to hold the window tightly in the frame.

I don't see any other latches on your site that look any closer to the originals but thought I would contact you to see if you can help me locate one. I am attaching a picture of the original latch in the window for your review. Thanks in advance for your help.

User submitted a photo of a tilt latch.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Have you seen our 26-298 and 26-299 top tilt latches> The set back is 1/8" and the curve tilt extends 7/16" pass the housing. These might be a better match for you.
A quick learner from Maryland says:
Paul, thanks for the quick reply. My concerns with 26-298 and 26-299 is 2-fold. 1) The housing is 3/4" vs 11/16" of the original. 2)The part of the latch that needs to be closer to the window is where it protrudes below (in the above photo) the latch housing (towards the bottom of the window frame). I'm attaching another pic of the same latch from a different angle. What do you think?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. We have received your pictures. That 3/4" vs 11/16" difference is just the top part of the latch, whose width doesn't matter that much since there does not appear to be anything that would obstruct it on your sash. The more important measurement is the width of the "belly," or the part that slides into the sash. This measurement is 9/16" (the same as the 26-420 and 26-419). The "tooth" of the 26-298 and 26-299 appears to be identical to yours, as well.
A quick learner says:
Thanks for the response. I'm placing an order for the suggested parts.
A home owner from Illinois says:
The picture of Glenn's latch is exactly what ours look like. They are Owens-Corning windows installed in the 90's. I am wondering if the 26-298 and 26-299 worked. Hopefully he will get this email and hopefully he can find some time to respond. I would appreciate it so much. Many thanks!
The windows I am repairing are in a vacation home. I won't be going down there again until the end of this month, but I will let you know if they worked or not as soon as I give them a try.
A home owner from Illinois says:
Thank you VERY MUCH!!! I am very interested.
The parts fit perfectly and allowed the window to operate as designed. Thanks again, Paul and Tom, for your help. Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the latches that weren't quite right :-)
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)