SWISCO - The Replacement Hardware Authority

Tilt Latch

A quick learner says:
I am replacing Patriot Wiindow tilt latches. what is the best way to remove the existing latch? Is it just a matter of prying it off? I dont want to damage there area where the new latch will be installed.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It would depend on the tilt latch. Patriot windows tend to use latches that have a similar style to our 26-263 and 26-264. If that's what kind you have, as well, then check out the video below on how we remove this kind of latch.
A contractor says:
the existing style of tilt latch that I am replacing matches the 26-317. How is the best way to remove this existing latch?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. You have an internal-type tilt latch. These can actually be very frustrating to replace, since in many cases it requires taking parts of the sash frame off! To be honest, you may be better off substituting with a surface mount tilt latch (these are different than the others in that they just screw on). We have a video tutorial that shows how we do this. We find it to be an easier solution for sashes that tend to be more stubborn. Let me know what you think!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)