Tilt Window Both Sashes Fall Down

A home owner from Pittsburgh says:
The bottom sash would slowly fall down after being opened for awhile. Now the top sash falls as soon as the window latch is released. I know the balance needed to be replaced since the bottom sash would fall but I don't know what I need to do to fix the top sash. Also when the top sash does fall to the bottom you can see the balance which is a 600 series and it's very lose. Any idea on what I need to fix both of the sashes???

I attached a picture of the window.

Melissa
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Here's a picture of the bottom of the top sash. I'm not sure what that "stopper" is.

We took the bottom sash out this morning to determine the balance. 5/8" 27" Black Tip.
User submitted a photo of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
You may just need to recharge the balances so that they can get their tension back. Since you have tilt windows, see our guide below on how you can do this.
Recharging the balance will the keep the Top Sash from falling down? Right now it falls as soon as the window is un-latched.
Profile picture of Paul
Yes, recharging your spiral balances should give them their tension back, which will allow them to do their job again. However, if you find that charging them does not work, or if you're charging them without feeling any tension build in the spring (you would definitely feel it), then the springs may be shot. In that case, the balances would have to be replaced entirely.
I received the tension tool and how do I know if the balance is bad or if I'm charging it wrong? I pushed it all the way up and turned it clockwise and it doesn't seem to do anything and the window is worse now.
Profile picture of Paul
If you are charging them without feeling any tension build, then they are likely worn out. I would recommend replacing them entirely. If the diameter of the tube is 5/8" or 9/16", I would recommend our Series 600 spiral balances.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
How to identify a replacement spiral balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.